Vasectomy Quick Facts
Here is a helpful collection of interesting facts and points of information about vasectomy:
- Each year, between 500,000 and 600,000 men select vasectomy as the permanent birth control method of choice in their family.
- Vasectomy is considered nearly 100 percent effective, safe, and does not interfere with sexual pleasure.
- The No-Scalpel Vasectomy (NSV) procedure was developed in the early 1970s in China by Dr. Li Shunqiang.
- During the past few decades, over 15 million vasectomies have been performed around the world using the NSV technique.
- No-scalpel vasectomy can be completed in about 15 – 20 minutes.
- A vasectomy does not reduce a manís sexual drive, virility or his ability to have or enjoy sex.
- About 85 percent of health care insurance programs include coverage for the vasectomy procedure, so there may be little or no cost to you.
- Most vasectomy procedures are performed by urologists; medical doctors who are specialists in the male and female urinary tract and the male reproductive organs.
- Sterilization for a man (vasectomy) is significantly less expensive than for a woman (tubal ligation), which may be as much as five times more costly. Learn more about vasectomy costs.
- Many vasectomy procedures are performed on Thursdays or Fridays to allow for a weekend vasectomy recovery time – before returning to work the following week.
Dr. McHugh is one of Georgia’s most experienced urologists performing vasectomies and vasectomy reversals.