Informative Free Vasectomy Reversal Phone Consultation For Common Questions
Vasectomy Reversal Questions: Dr. McHugh answers hundreds of vasectomy reversal questions by phone consultations a year. The following are the top vasectomy reversal questions that are asked and discussed during these visits with patients from all over the Southeast.
- What is the success rate? This depends on the interval of time between the vasectomy and the reversal. The shorter the interval the better the chances of success. Success rates-Click here.
- How many microscopic vasectomy reversals has Dr. McHugh done? Over 600 in our accredited Urological Surgery Center.
- What is the cost? $7,200, which is all-inclusive and “no hidden fees.” (Surgeon fee, Accredited Facility Expense, Anesthesia, R.N. nursing, Operative microscope, microscopic suture and… an experienced, skilled and pleasant staff.)
- Do you have a payment program? No but we accept CareCredit. (See CareCredit.com)
- Will I have any pain? No, we provide anesthesia by a board certified anesthesiologist. Our safety record has been impeccable. The pain after the procedure is slightly more than you may have experienced during the vasectomy.
- Is it like having a vasectomy? No, a vasectomy takes 15 minutes and done through a “size of rice” opening. A vasectomy reversal takes our team approximately 2 hours. As a result one can expect a bit more swelling and bruising. “The procedure involves the same tube… but it’s a different operation!”
- Is the age of my wife important? Yes. Success rates begin to decline as the female’s age goes above 39. The male is less age dependent.
- What if I have to travel a long distance to go home? Most couples will arrive the day of the procedure and then spend the night afterwards in a local hotel. Hotel accommodations if necessary is complimentary for one night. (As a rule, couples within a few hours drive from our facility prefer to go home after the procedure and this is acceptable.)
- How long before I can drive? Usually within a week. If the surgery is on a Thursday, for instance, the longer you can be off your feet with the scrotum elevated the less swelling you will experience. The complete healing doesn’t occur until around a month, but patients can be active but careful during that time. Tight compression exercise underwear is better than the traditional “jock support.”
- When can I resume sexual activity? In three weeks.
- When can I return to work? Desk work, with caution and being careful, in one week. If one has a strenuous job usually three weeks, however a lot of patients go back in one week but they have made arrangements to gradually get back to their normal work routine. (With the help of their co-workers.)
- How long does it take for the testicles to produce sperm again? Usually 4-6 months depending on when the vasectomy was done. (The shorter the interval between the reversal and vasectomy, the sooner the vesicles begin to produce sperm.)
- If pregnancy occurs, what is the most common time frame? 6-18 months. This is important to remember this as achieving pregnancy after a vasectomy reversal is a patient process.
- Are birth defects more common after a vasectomy reversal? No.
- Which is better in vitro methods or a vasectomy reversal? This is a decision which the couple should research and based on what is best for them. Proponents of a reversal state cost, the ability to have more than one pregnancy, less requirements by the female, and a more streamlined process from the decision to having the procedure.
- How soon can I schedule the procedure? It is unusual not to be able to schedule within a month of inquiring. Our practice owns our surgery center, so it is not uncommon to open another operative day and perform two reversals on the same day to accommodate demand.
- Is it necessary to have an in person consultation visit? In most cases no. The anesthesia doctors do not require new blood work or EKG if the patient is less than 50 and not on certain medications. The only thing that can’t be done ahead of the procedure is the exam of the testicles.
- Is there a safety risk of the procedure or of the anesthesia? It is rare to have any injury to the testicles. Infections are uncommon, bruising is common. There is no change in the male sexuality. The anesthesia is very safe and to date we have had no issues/complication related to this. Our anesthesiologists are all board certified. Our safety record has been impeccable since opening our facility in 2008.
Well, that is a start. After reading the above, you still can call( see the contact page) to arrange a phone consultation. Dr. McHugh does them every day of the week. All we need is a time frame that accommodates your schedule to arrange.
We look forward to speaking to you and helping you with the new addition to your family!
Call or use the Contact Form: We respond promptly!
A Reversal “Thumbs Up!”
Kalani was born December 31, 2022 at home under the care of a midwife and nurse at 8:11 pm. It was magical as the fireworks from the New Years celebrations exploded outside along the Florida coastline on a foggy sort of mystical night. Our boys are so in love with their baby sister!
Thank you so much for my husband’s successful reversal that you performed in October 2021. We found out we were expecting in the beginning of January and our son was born on September 7th.
Jen and Kristafur
Thankful for Dr. McHugh’s talent and the whole experience!
Dr. McHugh is very thorough and answered any questions we had prior to surgery. His team was very kind and thorough post surgery as well, following up via phone and email to be sure my husband had the best recovery he could. Our chances for conceiving were less than 50% and we just had our daughter a month before the one year mark from surgery. Leanna T. September 2022
We try to make it “fun!”
“Dr. McHugh is loads of fun. Really nice guy. Excellent staff. Easy, short, and (mostly) painless procedure. Great practice here.” D.D.
Thank you so much for the positive feedback. Enjoyed comparing “Beatles Trivia!” I hope you do well. John McHugh
Thank you back!
Dr. McHugh and his wonderful staff are without a doubt the best in the industry.
“You and your staff were wonderful! I love the relaxed and laid back atmosphere that y’all provided especially the Music! Definitely helped my anxiety. Thank you.”
I appreciate everyone’s friendliness and kindness during the multiple office visits and surgery center procedure. Thank you for the good care you gave me!
Even after a miscarriage, with time, prayers and of course a great surgeon we now have a healthy 7lbs 2oz baby boy! Thank you.
Two for the price of one!
After extensive research, we found that the technique performed by Dr. McHugh was the best fit for us. It was the least invasive, and offered the fastest recovery. Dr. McHugh & his team delivered a high caliber of service & comfort for me, & I am extremely thankful for his practice.
Naomi was born just 12 months after having my surgery, & we couldn’t be happier with our newest addition!
Thank you Dr. McHugh and staff!
Thanks for dropping by!
What a delightful surprise!
Fantastic bedside manner, office and surgical staff were top notch. This coming from a nurse of 12 years. I was never nervous or uncomfortable. (Microscopic Vasectomy Reversal)