Bullet points/instructions for the post vasectomy reversal operative period:
- You can shower but for the first two to three days, don’t let water hit the operative site directly.
- A thin layer of Neosporin over the suture sites daily is recommended.
- A formal dressing is not required but one 4×4 gauze between underwear and the sutures may be more comfortable.
- The sutures dissolve-but not all at the same time. Some separation of the skin in areas is not uncommon and resolves.
- The feeling of a “lump” under the skin above either testicle is not uncommon, this is where the body is reacting to the surgical procedure. (It is not uncommon to have this on one side but not the other.)
- Compression underwear for three weeks. (This is preferred to the traditional “jock strap.”
- No sexual activity for three weeks. Slowly returning to your normal exercise at that time can resume as well.
- The more you can be off your feet the first week following the procedure the less swelling you will have. Some bruising of the skin around the suture sites is common.
- Patients can walk and even drive if necessary after 5 days if wearing compression underwear and being careful. Again, the more you are off your feet the better.
- The testicles begin producing normal sperm again in 4-6 months, depending on the length of time from the vasectomy. (The longer the interval from the vasectomy, the slower return to sperm production.)
- If you desire to have an evaluation of a semen specimen to check for the presence of sperm, one would wait until the 4-6 month period after the reversal. The presence of sperm is a very good sign, however it is not unusual for a longer interval is required for the return of sperm. A specimen can be given to our office and can be quickly evaluated for the presence of sperm. If a formal semen analysis is desired which provides an actual count of sperm, an order can be placed to your local hospital negating having to travel to Gainesville.
- If pregnancy occurs, it is usually in the 6-18 month time frame.
- If pregnancy occurs…we’d appreciate a picture.
- Finally…we appreciate the opportunity to participate in your care.
Georgia’s most experienced No Scalpel Vasectomy and Microscopic Vasectomy Reversal urologist.
Helping couples achieve the new addition to their lives with microscopic vasectomy reversal.