The question was- “What are the options for the no scalpel vasectomy?”
- In terms of anesthesia (Absolutely no discomfort): we offer conscious sedation by a board certified anesthesiologist on Thursday. In this scenario, you’ll have an I.V., monitored and will sleep through the procedure safely with absolutely no discomfort. The medicine used by the anesthesiologist goes to work quickly and goes away out of your system quickly, so it is ideally suited for this type of procedure.
- Local anesthesia with a pre-med (Usually Ativan/Norco by mouth, or a I.V. injection of similar medications) before the procedure and then local anesthesia with Lidocaine. This method is suited for the patient that has no fear of needles, no anxiety with medical procedures or passes out easily. This is a more streamlined method and is commonly done on Friday.
- In terms of payment options: Our office accepts most all insurances and we have relationships with them. This means that we accept what they allow. You may have a deductible and other particular specifics of your plan, but that is what we go by.
- If you are self pay: Our fee is $950.00 and this is all inclusive and can be done on a Thursday or a Friday.
- The Consultation: This can be with an in office visit which has the advantage of being able to perform an exam, or with a Telehealth visit. One only has to call the office to arrange.
The procedure itself: All no scalpel vasectomies across America use a small hemostat to spread the skin (i.e. no scalpel), however whether after dividing the vas deferens tube the urologist uses cautery, clips or suture the success rate of 1/2000 is about the same. It becomes about the preference of the urologist. Dr. McHugh uses electrocautery (fulgurate or heat). We have learned over the years that many patients prefer not having the foreign body of the clip left in the scrotum.
So the answer to the question is that there are several combinations of how the procedure is billed and options re: how it is performed. We do them all. We have done thousands of vasectomies over the years and perform hundreds a year.
“We know a thing or two about doing vasectomies, because we’ve done a vasectomy or two.”
Dr. McHugh is Georgia’s most experienced no scalpel vasectomy and microscopic vasectomy reversal urologist.
“The office staff was very nice and very informative to me and my wife. The doctor was very personable and made you feel comfortable. He explained everything he was doing and explained it before he did it. I would recommend him to anyone and you don’t find that in many doctors these days.” Z.S.
More concerns or questions? Email us.